Friday, November 27, 2009

Urban Poling (Nordic Walking) and it's effect on Rheumatoid Arthritis/Fibromyalgia, a personal account

I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis which was causing me to lose my mobility and gain weight. Even though I was taking medications, I was only getting worse. I started at the YMCA doing water exercises and gained back some of my mobility but I was looking for a way to start walking again.

A friend recommended using the Urban walking poles and in 2007 I bought a set. My husband and I own a farm so I started by walking around our property and soon noticed that the poles gave me a better sense of security and helped with my balance. At first I could only use the poles for about ten minutes without becoming tired and sore but after a few weeks I was walking 20 minutes and then 30.

In the fall of 2008 I managed to walk 5km. which I had not done in ten years. I walked in several more events during the spring and summer of 2009 and started to train for my first 10 km race which I competed in October. I am not fast but I enjoy being able to walk in the races and hike with my husband. My weight has come down even more and I am off most of my medications. The poles have given me renewed mobility to enjoy walking again...Dianna Edgett, Shediac Cape, New Brunswick, Canada.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Favorite quote; "I suffer from optimism"